AN INITIATIVE TO ENCOURAGE PARTICIPATION IN COMMUNITY DANCE PROJECTSEverybody Dance BC is organized by Made in BC in partnership with the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation. Leading From Beside Symposium - Sept 2016
Vancouver’s Community Dance Artists’ Activities Listings
This is a gathering of current community-engaged dance projects open for new participants by
Vancouver independent artists or companies.
Click through the Community Dance Listings below to find out more.
Community Dance Video. Watch now!
- If you are a professional dance artist with a community engaged dance practice, please contact us for more information on our programs and support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a community centre or an organization wanting to initiate a community engaged dance project, please contact Made in BC for information and resources.
When I dance I feel free to create and express myself – energized and alive.
– Henry Wong, Carnegie Dance Troupe, Roundhouse Dancers and many more projects
The Move It! program convinced me that anyone can dance; it is an activity that excludes no one. Now, dancing has become a necessity for me.
– Iris Kujansuu, Carnegie Dance Troupe, Roundhouse Dancers, Move It!, Joe Ink participant
When I dance, I am reminded there is no wrong, just choices.
– Peggy Leung, Foolish Operations Ensemble, Roundhouse Dancers, All Bodies Dance Project
Everybody Dance poster photos – vern bahti minard photography, graphic design – Big Wave Design.
Thanks to the community-engaged dancers who shared their passion of dance with us!
WHAT IS COMMUNITY DANCE?
Community Dance is…
… about people like you and me working with professional dance artists, connecting to dance experiences that we can own, helping us achieve a sense of belonging, and positively impacting our experience of being in a community.
Dance is for everybody.
No matter where we live, our age, gender, sexuality, race, disability, education or economic circumstances, we have the capacity to express ourselves through dance.
Participants are supported to operate as artists do
— with an artist’s questions, perspectives, intuitions, feelings and responses. Community dance helps make sense of and creates meaning in the world — a positive, empowering and humanizing activity for people to engage in.
Community dance can…
…IMPACT positively on your health and well-being, your personal motivation and your social relationships.
…PROVIDE you with an important focus for your life, help oversome barriers to participation, and enhance your sense of community.
…OFFER you new ways of relating to other people, based on respect and valuing difference.
…CONTRIBUTE to the development of dance as an art form and support the srtistic development of professional and nonprofessional dancers.