A Streetcar Named Desire
Adapted from Tennessee Williams’ 1947 Pulitzer Price winning drama, Alleyne’s Streetcar combines compelling dance with superb acting, lavish costumes, and an original jazz score by BC-based composer Tobin Stokes.
Drawing on the complexities for Williams’ play, this production of Streetcar is an intensely passionate and intoxicating contemporary ballet of dramatic conflict, sexual tension, and intrigue.
Originally commissioned by Ballet BC in 2006, A Streetcar Named Desire will be restaged for Ballet Kelowna for the purposes of touring. Set components are being re-scaled and re-built to reduce cargo weight and expedite set-up times on tour.
Serving as the only professional dance company in BC’s Interior, Ballet Kelowna is committed to its role as a leader in the region through encouraging, promoting, and developing Canadian artists. The Company performs annually for over 10,000 audience members in Western Canada, while also providing unique dance training opportunities and outreach programs.
AD/CEO Simone Orlando is an award-winning choreographer and former dancer with Ballet BC and The National Ballet of Canada. Ms. Orlando is leading Ballet Kelowna in collaborations with community organizations to cultivate new dance audiences and to enhance the impact of performances and programs.
Choreography: John Alleyne
Performers: Ballet Kelowna’s company of artists (Ballet BC seen in video from April 2009)
Composer: Tobin Stokes
Set and Costume Design: Kim Nielsen
Lighting Design: Gerald King
Story Adaptation: John Murrell
Ballet Kelowna offers a Q&A session with the dancers and AD following the performance. The Q&A session is open to all audience members.
- Title of Work:A Streetcar Named Desire
- Premiere Date and Venue/Location: May 1, 2018 Kelowna Community Theatre, Kelowna
- This project is a: Full Length Work (General Audience, Mainstage)
- Length in Minutes (including intermission): 116
- Is there an intermission: Yes (20 minutes)
- Number of Performers on Tour: 14
- Number of Support Staff on Tour: 5
- Per-Performance Fee Range: more than $5000
- Available to Tour (Season): 2018/19 Season, 2019/20 Season
Other Performance Information
Date et lieu de la première
Ce projet est
Durée de l’œuvre en minutes (incluant l’entracte)
Y a-t-il un entracte?
Nombre d’interprètes en tournée
Nombre de personnel de soutien à la tournée
Fourchette de prix du spectacle
Disponible pour (Saison)
- Preferred performing area is 40 feet wide and 40 feet deep.
- Venue to be equipped with 4 – 6 sets black legs, main curtain, and white cyclorama.
- Fly rail system preferred plus access to personnel lift.
- Venue equipped with professional sound system, clear com headsets, 2 – 4 onstage monitors.
- Full-time support of the house technician during our stay.
Company Name / Nom de la compagnie
Address / Adresse
2283 Leckie Road, Kelowna BC
Contact Person / Personne-ressource
Jenny Botha/Simone Orlando
Phone / Téléphone
Email / Courriel